In 1717 six bells were cast by Abraham Rudhall of Gloucester and hung in the tower of St Andrew’s church. Little is known of the history of the first two hundred years of the bells or the ringers who rang them.
In 1906 the bells were rehung in a new frame. The tenor was recast and two new lighter bells were added to make a ring of eight bells. All the work including the casting of the bells was carried out by Mears & Stainbank, now known as the Whitechapel Bell Foundry. Since that time the only work of any significance has been the replacement of headstocks on the sixth in the 1940s and treble in the 1970s. The rest of the arrangement is pretty much as it was in 1906!
This recording of the bells was made in May 2014 from the ringing chamber. The background noise is the sound of the ropes going up and down through the holes in the ringing chamber ceiling.
The bell frame is made from cast iron and considering its age it is in excellent condition. The diagram below shows the arrangement of the bells in frame – click on a bell to find out more about it!